January 04, 2014

Weekend Bonus Recipe!

When I was in high school and maybe even middle school, my mom would make us egg sandwiches (a la McDonald's) en mass. She would make about 20 or 30 in a weekend and my brothers and I would grab them and microwave them for breakfasts every couple of days for breakfast. They were quick, easy and pretty darn tasty.

I got impatient and made one before they were all cool...
I heated it so the cheese and egg were warm and it was delicious.

This weekend I decided that I wanted to take it a step further. A few weekends ago I made English muffins from scratch for the first time, they were AWESOME…but I wanted to tweak the recipe so I could get some more protein in them, and I also wanted to make my egg sandwiches more vegetarian, so they have egg on them but no slice of Canadian bacon (which you can totally do if you want).


This time you get two recipes for the price of one!

Higher Protein English Muffins (adapted from King Arthur Flour’s Recipe)

1 ¾ Cup Luke warm milk
3 TBSP melted butter (I used salted so I skipped adding the salt)
¼ tsp Salt
2 TBSP Sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
4 cups or 16.75 oz All purpose or unbleached white wheat flour
½ Cup vital wheat gluten flour
2 tsp instant yeast
½ cup raw hemp seeds
¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
Semolina or farina flour for sprinkling the pan/griddle

Fun Fact: this is a bread you don’t cook in the oven, it’s kind of like a super hearty pancake.

Directions:

Combine all ingredients (except for the semolina flour) in a large bowl. Mix until well combined. This is normally a wet and sticky dough, but with the extra gluten it becomes a little bit stickier so mixing it by hand may be a bit of a mess feel free to use a spoon to mix it all together.

Once combined well, shape into a ball in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until almost doubled, about 1-2 hours.

Prepare your griddle/pan by sprinkling the bottom of the pan with the semolina flour (about a Tablespoon, maybe two depending on the size of you pan).

On a lightly floured surface dump out your dough and divide into 16 even pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and then flatten into a 3 to 3 ½ inch disk. It’s easiest to do this one at a time and then place directly onto the cold griddle/pan. I've found for a 8” pan you can fit 4 on, and a 12” pan you can fit about 7 muffins on.

Once you have your muffins all on their pans, sprinkle the tops with some more semolina flour, cover with a towel or parchment paper and let rest for 15-20 minutes. They will puff up a bit more, giving you a bigger muffin.
Here they are all rested up and ready to go.

After resting place the griddle/pan over medium heat on the stove top (medium-low heat if you have a wacky electric stove top like I have).  Cook each side for 7-15 minutes making each side a nice golden brown or until the internal temperature reads 200 degrees Fahrenheit. If the sides are brown before the internal temperature has been reached, pop them into the oven at 350 for a few more minutes.

Look at that golden brown action.

Remove from griddle/pan and let them cool thoroughly before digging in!

Fun Fact: Semolina flour is used to make pasta

EXTRA CREDIT:

While the dough is rising (if you want to make sandwiches that is) in a good size bowl beat together 18 eggs and ½ cup of milk (I used 2%). Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a walled cookie sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with non-stick cooking oil. If you’re lucky enough to have some silicone non-stick mats that are just larger than your cookie sheet, you can use those. You want the foil or the mat to ride up the walls of you baking sheet at least ½ an inch. 

You can totally do 16 eggs, I just did 18 so I'd have an even dozen eggs left in my fridge.
Also spinach and mushrooms!

Pour in your beaten eggs.  Bake for 30 minutes or until eggs are just set.

Alternatively if you have muffin tins in your apartment…which somehow I don’t have you can line those with metal cupcake liners and spray those with oil, or you can spray the tin. The English muffin recipe makes 16 muffins so only fill 16 of the muffin tin pockets. Bake this at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until eggs are just set.


Once eggs are set pull out the pan and let cool until it reaches room temperature. If you did the cookie sheet method put a cutting board on top of your pan and flip that sucker, peel off the foil or silicone mat. With a sharp knife cut into 16 even pieces.


I added some steamed spinach and mushrooms to my eggs prior to baking.  If you add veggies to your eggs, cook them separately and let them drain some of their juices for about 5-10 minutes before adding them to your raw eggs. You can go while and add some peppers and onions and use pepper jack cheese if you want!


For each egg sandwich I added a half ounce of sharp cheddar cheese for some extra flavor. I then wrapped them in aluminum foil, and stuck them in my freezer so I can grab them for work. Just unwrap and zap in the microwave for a minute and a half-2 minutes. It helps to flip it at the 30 second mark so it heats evenly….Delicious

Each English Muffin has:
184 Calories (the original recipe had 160)
23g CARBS (the original recipe had 28g)
5g FAT (the original recipe had 3g)
10g PROTIEN (the original recipe had 6g)
310mg SODIUM (the original had 200mg)
3g SUGAR (this is the same)

Each Sandwich has:
320 Calories
24g Carbs
15g FAT
21g PROTIEN
192mg SODIUM
5g SUGAR






No comments:

Post a Comment